The Hudson City Lighthouse, now known as the Hudson-Athens Lighthouse, was completed and put into operation on November 14, 1874. It served as a manned lighthouse until 1950s, when it was automated. It still serves as an aid to navigation, guiding ships around the Hudson River’s Middle Ground Flats.
In 1982 a group of citizens from Columbia and Greene counties formed the Hudson-Athens Lighthouse Preservation Society, Inc. In 1984, a 20-year lease was entered into by HALPS and the U.S. Guard. In 2000, the Coast Guard officially transferred the deed, making the members of HALPS sole owners of the lighthouse.
The society offers tours of the lighthouse (on July 10, August 14, September 11 and October 9; call 518-822-1014 for reservations), in addition to other special events. For more information on the lighthouse and the work of HALPS, go to www.hudsonathenslighthouse.org.